If you have a small closet you understand the frustration that comes with piles of shoes, overflowing hangers and buckling shelves. Luckily, with the right closet organizers and some creative problem solving, you can make the most out of your small closet space.
Before you begin, purge yourself of unnecessary items. Kick off the organizational process by donating or selling anything you haven’t worn or used in the past year. Once you’ve narrowed down your items, reorganize your space with these seven ingenious closet organizers.
Small Closet Organizers
- Use dividers to make more room on your shelves. Separating piles of clothing makes it easier to keep everything organized and reduces wasted space between piles.
- Maximize the space under your shelves using shelf baskets. These space-saving closet organizers are especially handy for storing socks, undergarments and accessories.
- Take advantage of your closet walls and doors by hanging belts, purses, jewelry, shoes and other items. This allows you to efficiently hang hard-to-store items while making great use of the empty space.
- Hang twice as many clothes in the same amount of space using tiered hangers. You can purchase these hangers at almost any home goods store, or you can make your own using the tabs from soda cans.
- Invest in hanger stands. These closet organizers neatly stack unused hangers on the ground so you can clear more hanging room for clothing and other items.
- If closet space is really tight, start storing your shoes elsewhere. Shoe trays easily slide under the bed or other furniture while keeping shoes accessible and out of the way.
- Try adding an extra hanging rod under your current closet organizers. Oftentimes people don’t take full advantage of the lower halves of their closets, but by doubling up your organizing systems you can store twice as much in the same amount of space.